Monday, January 10, 2011

Homeless Guy

Has anyone ever told you that they would enjoy being homeless? A senior told me that last year, and I considered it crazy, even for Ben-David (who could probably pass as a homeless guy, no joke). Of all the things I've learned from B-D, that probably sums up the purpose of this blog. Ironic, huh? That it should begin with someone as eccentric, funny, and genuine as Ben-David.

But he's not homeless. At least, not that I know of. But we'll come back to him (and this other homeless guy named Rich Mullins) later.

Jesus was homeless. Did you know that? I guess I did, but it hasn't really hit home (hah hah. no pun intended) until this year. I mean, as Christians, we want to be as much like Christ as possible, right? But.. Sam, He was homeless. Does that mean that.. I should be homeless? It's a crazy concept to wrap your mind around, right? I'm not homeless. I'm also not Jewish.. Hmm... What else was Jesus like?
And thus began an eccentric, funny, genuine search  for.... I'm still not sure what. I'm learning about what it means to be the Church. What community and family (there's that word again) means. What Jesus really means when he calls us to leave everything we have to follow Him. Could He really have meant.. just that?

My Bible teacher (who, by the way is my step-dad) issued a challenge for us s'mores this morning. The idea is that we say "I'll pray for you," but how often do we really remember to? So he said that when someone has a need, to ask if you can pray for them right then and there.
Now how to end this... how about with something epic. It's as if Christ had said, "Come with me if you want to live," and now I'm gonna see what that could really be like.. to really live.. to follow this un-dead homeless guy.

2 comments:

  1. Sam, I love you. I am soo very glad God put you in my life. I very much look foreward to spending more lunchtimes discussing things that go on our blogs. (=

    ReplyDelete