Sunday, January 16, 2011

We Take Nothing

I don't know about you guys, but I was born naked and illiterate. I didn't come into this world with money, or fame, or the means to keep myself alive. I wasn't born with shoes or books or best friends. I was born with nothing, and when I die, I will take nothing with me. Not even clothes, like Job says, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart." No material possessions will I be able to bring to Heaven.
So why all this time spent trying to satisfy every little want? A teakettle, new sandals, that really cool movie I saw at the resale shop for 50 cents (The Princess Bride, no joke!), none of it will go with me.

On Friday, Chirch showed us this clip from Schindler's List. Basically, the guy gave up his entire fortune to bribe other Nazi's so he could save the lives of Jews. And near the last scene, when he's about to go into hiding, Schindler says, "I could have gotten more out.. if only I'd had more money.. I threw away so much money.. Look at this car, why did I keep this car?

And he is in anguish over this, why he was so selfish as to keep a car, a car that he could never take with him, when the amount of money could have saved the lives of ten more people. He realized how valuable those people were, and how worthless in comparison a car is.

It was convicting for me, to see a guy who gave up everything, risking his own life, to say that he should have done more, that he could have done more. And then there's Sam over here who has risked nothing, given up nothing.. while there is so much I can give. Possessions, when we stand before God's throne, mean nothing. We are called to gather up treasures in Heaven. Because really, that's all that's going to matter anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment