Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mandarin Oranges

We took a drive through (ahem. thrrrrough) downtown Gary today. And I loved it. Me, my parents, and this amazing senior went to this women's and children's shelter to drop off the two car-fulls of clothes our school collected. Which was amazing. We used this huge can of mandarin oranges to prop open the door while we carried garbage bag after garbage bag into the little donations room. The ladies were so sweet, and it was really great getting to talk with them a bit after the clothes were brought in.  Things like that should definitely become normal for me, I think. We drove around Gary for a while after that... haha, which was a bit out of my comfort zone. Chirch said that he wanted to show us more, but he wasn't going to turn down streets that he didn't know, not because he was afraid of getting lost, but because just a few minutes on the wrong street would potentially end in, er, catastrophe. And you know what really got my attention? Was that there were maybe... oh, three (bah, thrrrree) buildings I saw the entire time we were driving that had every single window intact. For whatever reason, I LOVE the way that broken windows look... (not sure why..) but this was horrible. Dead of winter in Northwest Indiana, and people were living in these homes that allowed the cold, chilling air right in. Not that they were leaving the broken windows there out of laziness, either. The only thrrree or so building that I saw with intact windows were... church buildings. Hmm.. and while we were driving, Chirch & Danny were discussing a lot of issues that had been brought up in chapel, Bible classes, and elsewhere... It was really neat to hear, especially since I haven't had much of an opportunity to listen to these two guys talk together. Hopefully, as the year goes on, I'll share a little but if that, eh?
         Let's just say, for now, that it's caused me to admire Rich Mullins even more than ever. And that's saying something. And you know what, thanks for reading this. It means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment